[Eril-l] Electronic resources collection development policy

Nagata, Judith jnagata at holycross.edu
Tue Apr 24 12:30:23 PDT 2018

We are working on a new collection development policy at the College of the
Holy Cross Libraries, too. Although this is a work in progress, the group
has decided to integrate electronic resources (ie. databases, ejournals,
ebooks, streaming media, statistics, etc) into the policy and not have a
separate section for electronic. So far, although we are far from finished,
we have placed like items together. For example. Serials has its own
section and it breaks down into print and electronic, type of serial, etc.
This allows us to address different issues according to format including
funding and physical space. This system is a bit harder for "archival"
collections or mixed collection packages that include many different things
and could be a purchase or a annual subscription. Some of this may be
solved by writing to our audience: faculty and non-library administration.
We need to make the language simple and in terms a non-library person can
understand. In any case, I think that having electronic resources
integrated into your collection development policy is something you might
want to try.

When we have something finalized, our collection development policy will be
posted online. I am sorry we don't have anything for you now...

Best,

Judith

--
Judith Nagata