[Eril-l] Electronic resources collection development policy

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at wheaton.edu
Tue Apr 24 10:33:24 PDT 2018

Thanks, Andrea! As I reflected on my previous response, it seemed like unsolicited advice on my part, and a bit presumptuous. Sorry!

Steve

From: Eril-l <eril-l-bounces at lists.eril-l.org> on behalf of Andrea Rodgers <arodgers4 at dccc.edu>
Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 12:31 PM
To: eril-l <eril-l at lists.eril-l.org>
Subject: Re: [Eril-l] Electronic resources collection development policy

We plan to add electronic resources as a component of our traditional collection development policy. Recently we've received requests from campus departments to subscribe to very specific e-resources on their behalf (one example is BoardVitals.com) because they don't have the budgetary funding for them. This got us thinking that it would be good to have something in writing about how we develop the library's e-resources collection.

Best,

Andrea D. Rodgers
Assistant Professor & Reference Librarian
Liaison to Workforce Development & Community Education
The Learning Commons @ Delaware County Community College
Media, PA 19063
arodgers4 at dccc.edu
Ph. 610-359-5249
http://libguides.dccc.edu/lc

>>> Steve Oberg <steve.oberg at wheaton.edu> 04/24/18 1:13 PM >>>
One question that occurs to me on this issue is if/whether an e-resources collection development policy is being developed separately from a “traditional” collection development policy? That may not be the intent here, but if the answer is yes, I’ll voice my support for a philosophy of unification ☺ By that I mean, thinking of collections as a whole. I don’t mean to divert discussion away from the original question, though.

Steve

Steve Oberg
Assistant Professor and Group Leader for Resource Description and Digital Initiatives
Buswell Library, Wheaton College (IL)
+1 (630) 752-5852

President, NASIG<http://www.nasig.org/>
[cid:e54d5c9993ae5e9de5aaf03db4562758d7bfc162f8a677c7a.mpf]