[Eril-l] Streaming games licensing (e.g., Steam)

Bazeley, Jennifer bazelejw at miamioh.edu
Wed Sep 27 12:56:29 PDT 2017

Thanks for the replies!

I've done a little more research since yesterday (with the help of one of
our library systems staff, who has done some purchasing of game consoles
for us in the past), and we've identified some concerns that we're
currently discussing.

First, we've been asked to purchase the Steam Machine (Alienware) console,
which is essentially a computer that allows for the streaming of video
games on one of the large TVs in our gaming lab. I think we're going to
have trouble justifying the purchase of something like this out of our
materials budget--our collection development policy is pretty broad, but
it's never included hardware like this before (that's not to say that we
can't amend it, but it won't happen this week).

The second issue regards the licensing for the streaming games--the
purchase of individual games on the Steam site is set up for individual
users and requires agreeing to a license that the university cannot agree
to. I found out that there *is* a site license/volume license option with
Steam, which is what I believe we would have to set up. Once that is set
up, then we would be looking at buying paid site subscriptions for each of
the streaming games that we are interested in. The paid site subscription
costs are apparently significantly more than the cost of games meant for
individual users (although one can't see those costs until they have
created a volume license account on Steam, which requires the account
creator to agree to a license, which I can't do on my own). We would then
also need to sort out who administers that account, since we don't have the
funds to allow for unlimited spending/purchases.

And last but not least, for materials that the library purchases, any
license agreement attached to the console or the streaming games will need
to go through our university purchasing office for review. The purchasing
office process also now includes an accessibility review, and we don't know
the university's current stance on accessibility and streaming video games,
as it hasn't come up before.

If anyone has any further thoughts on any of the above, they're welcome!

Thanks!
Jennifer

Miami University Libraries <http://www.lib.miamioh.edu/>
King Library 312