[Eril-l] 2-step verification from Atypon

Mark Winek mdw65 at georgetown.edu
Tue Sep 5 16:28:12 PDT 2017

Dear Collective Wisdom,

After logging into a few publisher sites hosted by Atypon, I noticed that
I'm being prompted to set up 2-step verification at every turn. I can log
in to my administrative account, but if I attempt to go to any other pages
(such as to update IP addresses), I have to input my mobile phone number to
receive a one-time code via SMS. It gives me the opportunity to remember my
computer for 30 days (no doubt by cookie).

While I usually applaud these types of efforts, I'm wondering how you have
dealt with this from an institutional point of view. Since I'm not the only
one at my institution accessing the administrative accounts, I would have
to ask my staff to use their personal mobile phones to run 2-step
verification when the log on (since our desk phones don't take SMS). And if
any one of them can verify by SMS, what's the added security of 2-step
verification offering?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark D. Winek
Unit Head, Electronic Resources & Serials
Georgetown University
Joseph Mark Lauinger Memorial Library\