[Eril-l] New partnership between Project MUSE and Google Scholar

Jim Longo jlongo at highwirepress.com
Mon Oct 23 21:15:49 PDT 2017

Stephen,

My responses are inline in blue.

*Thanks for sharing that. I'm wondering about a few other things. Say the
user was on campus using their laptop, they used Google Scholar, and
connected to- [ HighWire Hosted ]content found in a search results. Then
they go home and using the same laptop run another search in Google
Scholar. The search results include records from a variety of different
platforms. What happens if:*

*(1) They then go to any other article on the Project MUSE platform? They
get in directly with no authentication, right? What happens if they next
poke around on the Project MUSE site and try to access other articles there
that their library has rights to access? Are they able to get to all that
content too as long as they started out from a Google Scholar search
result?*

CASA allows researchers to access all of their Institution's subscriptions
that participating in CASA. There will not be additional authentication for
publications that are participating in CASA.

*(2) They don't click a result for a Project MUSE article in Google Scholar
but instead one from a different vendor that also happens to use CASA, such
as HighWire or HeinOnline? Do they get in to those platforms as seamlessly
as they would had they clicked on a Project MUSE article in Google Scholar?*

Yes. As long as the researcher searches through Google Scholar off campus
they will be able to access  their Institution's subscriptions that
participating in CASA

(3) They skip Google Scholar altogether at home and go directly to the
Project MUSE website (not via one of the library's proxied links either).
They don't get in, right?

That is correct. They'll need to go through Google Scholar at home.

Regards,

Jim