[Eril-l] question about your openurl resolver and Taylor & Francis publisher site article inbound links

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Fri Oct 6 08:54:57 PDT 2017

We use EBSCO as our link resolver and take advantage of a nice feature that
has the patron taken directly to the PDF via the first appropriate link in
our holdings knowledgebase, rather than making them look at an intermediary
list of choices and figure out what to do.

The problem is that EBSCO uses iframes to do this, and Taylor & Francis,
apparently uniquely among all major publishers, has done something with
their website design that blocks this kind of use. The result is that
attempts to get to the PDF this way result in a mostly blank white screen
for the patron.

I would like to know if other, non-EBSCO, openurl resolvers have a similar
"take me directly to the PDF" option and if you use it, do you also have
problems with T&F journals?

Thanks!

PS. If anyone out there using EBSCO says they don't have this problem, it's
likely because you get your T&F journals directly from EBSCO so they can
use Smartlinks rather than openurl links to get there. We have a consortial
subscription package that does not work with EBSCO so we have to use
openurl links instead.

--
Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian