[Eril-l] Ebook central problem - do you see this?

Cynthia Harper charper at vts.edu
Wed Oct 4 14:27:16 PDT 2017

I've reported this problem to Proquest, they simply said I should flip my mobile device from portrait to landscape. I don't think they know what problem I'm talking about.

Have you seen this:
                "I have noticed before that on some devices, the ebook central login prompt is invisible as it's overlayed on a cover page image. I was able to replicate this, and reported this problem to Proquest last night, and their suggestion is that the user turn from portrait mode to landscape mode. I didn't find that suggestion helpful, and they went on in their message to reconfirm that there does need to be an individual login to ebook central, but when I checked again the problem didn't occur on the same smartphone I'd seen it on yesterday."

                It happens on small devices, after you request a book to download, and Ebook Central tells them "your library wants you to log in before downloading" (ahem - it was not our decision, it's Proquest's insistence).  At that time, it presents a screen that has the book cover as the background, and the prompts to "Register " for an account, or "Have an account? Sign In" in thin blue print. It's virtually invisible.  I only found it because I know it's there. To users, it's a roadblock.

Please help me alert them to fix this!
P.S. - I decided today to try to get others involved in begging for fixes, rather than relying on simply reporting them to tech support - that's why so many messages)

Cindy Harper
Virginia Theological Seminary