[Eril-l] Switching from EZ proxy to Shibboleth/Open Athens/SAML Where do I begin?

Trisha Burr tburr at macalester.edu
Mon Nov 6 08:08:53 PST 2017

Our library is currently testing whether we can use OpenAthens mainly in
conjunction with HathiTrust. Currently we have a locally hosted instance of
EzProxy. I am the person who updates stanzas. This isn't a lot of work
however, our IT department takes care of the maintenance and upgrades for
EzProxy. Our campus does not use Shibboleth for single on. If we are able
to use OpenAthens to authenticate HathiTrust, we will look into potentially
replacing EzProxy with OpenAthens. OpenAthens has not been used in this way
so we're waiting to see if our test works.

Good luck,
Trisha

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 1:15 PM, Dodson Donna <ddodson at mountida.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am in the process of researching authentication methods for our students
> and faculty who use our databases and ejournals on and off campus. We
> currently have a library consortium managed EZ Proxy but our director would
> like to switch to something in-house that we could manage. We fear that the
> EZ proxy is often serving as a barrier to the information resources we
> strive to make accessible to our community. Has anyone made the transition
> from EZ Proxy to Shibboleth/Open Athens/SAML? I would love to hear more
> about the process and the details- what are the new products we need to
> buy? Do you have preferred vendors for these new products? Did you have to
> work with your IT department or is it something you did yourself? Any and
> all comments are welcome.
>
> Thanks in Advance!
>
> -Donna Dodson
>

> *Donna Dodson*
> Electronic Resources Coordinator
> Department of Instructional Technology and Learning Resources
> Wadsworth Library
>
> *Mount Ida College*
> 777 Dedham Street
> Newton, MA  02459
> T (617) 928-4010
> E ddodson at mountida.edu
> www.mountida.edu/

Trisha Burr

Electronic Resources Librarian

DeWitt Wallace Library

651-696-6749 | tburr at macalester.edu

1600 Grand Avenue

Saint Paul, MN 55105 USA

[image: mac-sec-horizontal-logo-150w.jpg]