[Eril-l] question about library wireless download speed cap

Johnson, Kay kjohnson497 at RADFORD.EDU
Wed Nov 1 08:11:34 PDT 2017

I asked our library technology head, who is a serious technologist, and he said:

It is possible that is may be an issue for High Definition (HD) video beyond 1080p, for example 4k streams, but, by-in-large it should be usable for almost everything else.

Kay G. Johnson
Head of Collection and Technical Services
McConnell Library, Radford University
540-831-5703 <kjohnson497 at radford.edu>

From: Eril-l [mailto:eril-l-bounces at lists.eril-l.org] On Behalf Of Homanchuk, Alex
Sent: Wednesday, November 1, 2017 10:56 AM
To: eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Subject: Re: [Eril-l] question about library wireless download speed cap

Hi Melissa,

I don’t think it would present a problem for any streaming media resources you have or otherwise if the wireless download speed is capped 5MB/s by connected device.  Average home broadband speeds in Canada are around 40 – 45 mbps which is roughly 5MB/s. I’m sure such caps are fairly common on campuses just not advertised.  Netflix recommends 25 Megabits per second (3.1 megabytes – MB) for “Ultra HD quality” on their platform which is probably higher then needed for the likes of FoD et al.

Alex.

Alex Homanchuk, MLIS, MFA
Head, E-Resources & E-Learning Support
Dorothy H. Hoover Library