[Eril-l] Switching from EZ proxy to Shibboleth/Open Athens/SAML Where do I begin?

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at wheaton.edu
Fri Nov 3 07:22:12 PDT 2017

Thanks, Jean, I understand things better now in terms of your local environment.

To focus on one aspect of the issue, local control vs. paying for a service...It’s an age old question without an easy answer.

In our case, we are not well staffed and we have to weigh this question carefully with just about everything we do. But because e-resources access and authentication are so important, I prefer local control so that we can respond quickly. We are fortunate to have direct control over EZproxy within my area. It’s something I advocated for after coming here.

We don’t expend a significant amount of time managing EZproxy, really. Our central IT people, with whom we have a close relationship, manage the servers and upgrades. We do the rest. Most of the changes are handled by a staff person.  I realize this looks different depending upon your institutional context.

There are ways in which keeping EZproxy config stanzas current can be challenging but we worked out methods to do that. It’s not hard. And the community of users is great. That makes a big difference. I learn new stuff from them all the time.

Steve