[Eril-l] Portico Welcomes 1, 000th Library Supporting Digital Preservation

Sarah Glasser Sarah.Glasser at ithaka.org
Wed May 31 11:00:06 PDT 2017

With apologies for cross-posting...

Portico Welcomes 1,000th Library Supporting Digital Preservation

Portico is pleased to announce the University Library of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, as its 1,000th participating library. They joined Portico alongside 53 other German institutions following an exhaustive evaluation funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Foundation), which recommended participation in Portico as part of their national strategy for digital preservation of licensed content.

"Our scientists often ask us how sustainable the library's investment in digital media is. Portico is a key element in our archiving strategy," said Library Director Konstanze Söllner.

Increasingly, library consortia around the world have turned to Portico as part of a national digital preservation strategy. Portico is supported by CAPES in Brazil, SURFMarket in the Netherlands, the Conference of Italian University Rectors (CRUI), b-on in Portugal, the Consortium of Swiss Academic Libraries, MINCYT in Argentina, and dozens of other consortia and university systems around the world.

Several of Portico's earliest supporters took the occasion to reflect on Portico's growth over the last decade, and the increasing awareness of the importance of digital preservation:

Dr. Paul Ayris, Pro-Vice-Provost (UCL Library Services), said, "In a digital world, the serious user needs to be sure that the materials they access today will be available tomorrow. Portico has become a global trusted service that fills such a need: long-term access to resources is a key part of the digital infrastructure of the 21st century."

"We consider Portico to be a vital component of our licensed content portfolio," said Ivy Anderson, Associate Executive Director of the California Digital Library.  "Archival rights are meaningless without a trusted archive to back them up - Portico gives us that assurance, and occupies a special place in the scholarly ecosystem as a community resource that holds valuable content in trust for the academic community."

Read more at http://www.portico.org/digital-preservation/news-events/news/portico-welcomes-1000th-library-supporting-digital-preservation

Best regards,
Sarah  Glasser
Sarah Glasser
Director, Global Product Marketing
ITHAKA
Tel: 212-358-6419
sarah.glasser at ithaka.org<mailto:sarah.glasser at ithaka.org>

ITHAKA (www.ithaka.org<http://www.ithaka.org/>) is a not-for-profit organization that helps the academic community use digital technologies to preserve the scholarly record and to advance research and teaching in sustainable ways. We provide innovative services that benefit higher education, including Ithaka S+R, JSTOR, and Portico.