[Eril-l] FW: [EXTERNAL] request for examples of libraries almost entirely non-firm ordering, print and e

Karen Jensen kljensen at alaska.edu
Wed May 10 11:55:24 PDT 2017

Are we seeing a difference in philosophy here due to the nature of the
institution? Smaller, wealthier schools maintaining traditional selection
methods and favoring print, versus larger state-funded institutions going
for the best bang for the buck? It is not inexpensive to have a host of
subject librarians selecting printed books title by title, nor cataloging
and shelving them, whether they are ever used or not. Much of what we have
chosen to do has been driven by financial necessity, but also by patron
demand; they want e-books and lots of them, and DDA allows us to make more
titles available for consideration - 10 times more titles (or more!) than
we could ever dream of acquiring in print. I'm not getting much faculty or
student feedback for print; what print requests we receive, we purchase as
requested. But the DDA e-book models are much used here, for the reasons
stated above.

Karen Jensen
Collection Development Officer
Rasmuson Library