[Eril-l] Job Opportunity: Digital Initiatives Coordinator

Curtis, Jason Jason.Curtis at sdstate.edu
Mon May 8 08:14:40 PDT 2017

Please excuse any cross-posting.

South Dakota State University's Hilton M. Briggs Library welcomes applications for the position of Digital Initiatives Coordinator. The successful candidate will identify, build, shape, and promote access to the Library's Digital collections. This person will lead efforts to preserve, describe, and provide security for these collections. The position will provide leadership for the development, growth, and preservation of the Hilton M. Briggs digital collections in order to support SDSU scholars and researchers.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

  *   Identifying, prioritizing, and managing workflows of collections to be digitized.
  *   Complying with standards, regulations, and laws.
  *   Maintaining partnerships with entities such as the Digital Library of South Dakota and the Digital Public Library of America.
  *   Developing and implementing workflows for the selection, acquisition, arrangement, description, preservation, and accessibility of the University's digital assets for the University Archives.
  *   Contributing to and implementing policies and workflows for long-term sustainability of the University's records management.
  *   Obtaining external funding to support digitization.
  *   Growing SDSU's digital collections and assuring a quality user experience.
  *   Providing outreach and communication, including the management of the Archives and Special Collections website and social media.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

  *   Bachelor's degree.
  *   At least one year of  experience in libraries, archives, historical societies, and/or museums.
  *   Knowledge of current trends and new developments in digital library initiatives, archives, and special collections.
  *   Knowledge of current metadata schemas and standards, such as Dublin Core, MODS, METS, EAD, etc. and digital content management systems.
  *   Skill in advancing digital initiatives.
  *   Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
  *   Ability to plan, manage, and oversee multiple projects, meet deadlines, and prioritize work in alignment with the strategic goals of the Library and the University.
  *   Ability to adapt to change with flexibility, creativity, and sound judgement.
  *   Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a collegial, team-based environment and maintain positive working relationships.
  *   A strong public service orientation.
  *   Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with students, faculty, staff, and alumni.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:

  *   ALA-accredited Master's degree in Library and/or Information Science.
  *   Academic library employment.
  *   Supervision and/or project management experience.
  *   Knowledge of scholarly communication and copyright issues.
  *   Experience working with digital collections including the creation and management of digitization projects.
  *   Knowledge of XML, CSS, and other coding languages.
  *   Experience with website management systems, including Drupal.
  *   Experience with audiovisual analog-to-digital conversion.
  *   Experience with digital archives management.
  *   Experience handling archival materials.

SALARY: Commensurate with education, experience, and internal equity.

UNIVERSITY/COMMUNITY:
Hilton M. Briggs Library serves all South Dakota State University academic disciplines and holds approximately 668,000 bound volumes, 1 million microforms, and over 500,000 government publications in addition to 31,000 electronic subscriptions. The library staff consists of 14 library professionals, 14 support staff, and student employees.

SDSU is the state's largest, most comprehensive higher education institution. As South Dakota's Morrill Act land-grant university, SDSU had a fall 2016 enrollment of 12,613 students from all 50 states and 85 countries. Students choose from 73 majors, 36 specializations, 75 minors, 35 master's degree programs, 15 Ph.D. programs and two professional doctorates. Approximately 55% of SDSU students are residents of South Dakota, 37% from other states, and 8% from other countries. There are ongoing efforts to bring a greater global perspective to the campus to increase diversity. The work of the university is carried out on a resident campus in Brookings, at sites in Sioux Falls, Pierre, Rapid City, and through Extension offices and Agricultural Experiment Station research sites across the state.

>From its roots as a land grant university established in Brookings, South Dakota in 1881, SDSU today is a vibrant, complex Carnegie Research University - High Intensity institution. It competes in Division I Athletics, is a member of the Missouri Valley Football Conference and participates in the Summit League for most other sports.

With exceptional alumni, community, and Foundation support for student scholarships as well as all aspects of campus life, SDSU is the center of life in Brookings, a friendly, economically healthy community of nearly 23,657 residents on the Eastern border of the state. The city has an excellent K-12 educational system.  The city is also accessible to major medical facilities, has an active social and cultural environment, and has numerous lakes and parks within an easy commute. Sioux Falls, a city of approximately 170,000 persons, is 55 miles to the south. Brookings is also located about 200 miles west of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.

APPLICATION DEADLINE: Position is open until filled with full consideration given to applications received by June 5, 2017.

APPLICATION PROCESS:
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on "apply for this posting." The system will guide you through the electronic application form. The employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement; resume; and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.

SDSU actively seeks to increase social and intellectual diversity among its faculty and staff.  Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.

Any offer of employment is contingent on the university's verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, a criminal background check.

For questions on the position, contact Michael Biondo at Michael.Biondo at sdstate.edu<mailto:Michael.Biondo at sdstate.edu> or 605-688-6054.

South Dakota State University is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its faculty, staff and students. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Arrangements for accommodations required by disabilities can be made by emailing HR at sdstate.edu. SDSU prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran's status or any other protected class in the offering of all educational programs and employment opportunities. Individuals with concerns regarding discrimination should contact: Equal Opportunity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, Human Resources, Morrill Hall 100, SDSU, Brookings, SD 57007. Phone: (605) 688-4128.