[Eril-l] SCOAP3

Ivy Anderson Ivy.Anderson at ucop.edu
Fri Mar 3 08:57:51 PST 2017

Happy to help, Alison -

The requirements are to redirect subscription funding previously allocated to the SCOAP3 journals to SCOAP3, via Lyrasis, and to (I believe) sign an agreement with Lyrasis authorizing them to sign the SCOAP3 MOU on their behalf.  There is a reconciliation process that Lyrasis can help with to determine the amount of funding appropriate for redirection.  Our understanding is that publishers deducted the relevant amounts from all library subscriptions back in 2014 when SCOAP3 launched - Lyrasis should be able to work with libraries to determine particulars.  The initial agreement for Phase 1 was for a 3-year period 2014-2016;  the continuation for Phase 2 is for the next 3-year period 2017-2019.

The withdrawal of 2 IOP journals from SCOAP3 has had minimal impact.  One of those journals, New Journal of Physics, was not previously a subscription journal, so removing it from SCOAP3 eliminated a financial drain on SCOAP3 funding.  It publishes about 4 articles per year so the impact is essentially nil.  The second IOP journal, Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, was only partially funded by SCOAP3, so the impact in terms of article counts and dollars is also minor.  A third IOP journal, Chinese Physics C, has remained in SCOAP3, and there are other society journals that continue to participate (several are published in partnership with commercial publishers).  SCOAP3 is healthy and robust;  the partnership has grown well since its initial launch, compliance with its open access terms is virtually 100%, cost control has been outstanding with very good cost-per-article metrics (per-article costs decreasing, user downloads growing), and the Phase 2 prospects look very strong.

There is a SCOAP3 information page with contact information at Lyrasis at http://www.lyrasis.org/scoap3usa.  Ann Okerson has served as the key outreach coordinator in the US on behalf of Lyrasis and can help with additional questions (ann.okerson at lyrasis.org<mailto:ann.okerson at lyrasis.org>). Folks interested in more detail may also want to check out the December 2016 SCOAP3 webinar, slides and a recording of which are available here<https://scoap3.org/support/>.

Disclaimer - I'm a member of the SCOAP3 Governing Council, which has 4 US representatives.  US GC members are elected by US participating libraries, through a process that Lyrasis manages.

Hope this helps -

Best,
Ivy

Ivy Anderson
Associate Executive Director & Director of Collections
California Digital Library
University of California, Office of the President
ivy.anderson at ucop.edu<mailto:ivy.anderson at ucop.edu>  |  http://cdlib.org<http://cdlib.org/>