[Eril-l] notes in ebook records

Amy Lynn Fry afry at bgsu.edu
Wed Mar 22 07:02:16 PDT 2017

We have gotten to the point where we really need to include notes in each of our ebook bib records about numbers of simultaneous users.

Have others of you found a need to do this retrospectively? How have you approached this?

I'm specifically interested in:

1.       Where in the record did you put the note? In the link? In a 5xx?

2.       What does the note say?

3.       Does a note also appear within your openURL resolver, and what does that look like?

4.       How did you handle books from the same vendor that have different user restrictions? For example, we have ebrary books that have 1, 3 or unlimited users. Do you put the same note in every book from that vendor (that says something like, "Connect to ebook for use restrictions," or something generic like that), or do you divide up the books into different groups so you can give more precise notes? If you divide them up, how do you manage them in your knowledgebase? Do you keep custom lists?

We have Serials Solutions for our knowledgebase and get some MARC records from them for ebooks. We have Summon and 360 Link for discovery and openURL linking, and Innovative Sierra for our ILS.

Thanks for your help! If you can link me to examples that would be very helpful, too.

Amy

Amy Fry
Associate Professor, E-resources Librarian
Jerome Library
Bowling Green, OH 43403
afry at bgsu.edu<mailto:afry at bgsu.edu>
email is the best way to reach me