[Eril-l] Sources for job descriptions and/or titles?

Cannon, Heather HCannon at adler.edu
Tue Mar 7 12:18:38 PST 2017

Hi all,

Last week I asked the list for advice on finding job description and job title examples as I was rewriting both of mine.  Some users asked that I share replies to the list, so I’m doing that now.

For what it’s worth, what I eventually found to be the most helpful was to Google for “job librarian” and then add phrases or terms that I thought would be specific to my role instead of to a general librarian descriptions, i.e. HTML, JavaScript, RDA, proxy, ERM, ILS, etc.  I did a few searches with different combinations trying to capture areas that I didn’t expect to naturally find together in other situations.

From the list’s suggestions:

·        How about searching the archive of the list? http://lists.eril-l.org/pipermail/eril-l-eril-l.org/ and just search "job" because some say posting, some say announcement, etc.

·        Sounds familiar! I'm doing the same.  I checked ACRL, ALA, WebJunction, Texas Library Association job postings, Chronicle of Higher Ed jobline, and the Occupational Outlook Handbook. I wish there was a true standard for positions and descriptions in the profession.

·        Check out the LITA & NASIG jobs websites.
Library and Information Technology Association
http://www.ala.org/lita/professional/jobs/looking
NASIG jobs site:
https://nasigjobs.wordpress.com/

Although it hasn’t been officially approved yet, the new title I came up with is Systems & Resources Librarian.  We’ll see what happens. :-)

Heather Cannon, M.L.I.S.
Technical Services Librarian
Adler University
17 N. Dearborn St.