[Eril-l] Nexis Uni Release

Cindy Fitzgerald cindy.fitzgerald at uni.edu
Tue Jul 11 09:39:45 PDT 2017

Hi Chris,

Our library had a conference call with our Client manager this morning and
that helped to clarify a few things.  You need to let them know when you
would like to begin Nexis Uni and then they will supply the link
information.

Lexis Nexis will not be retired until 12/31/17. Originally the date was
8/31/17 but after they rolled out to the first 100 customers they felt that
more time was needed to complete the roll out.

I can't speak yet as to how we will be linking to, marketing, or activating
discover options.  Client Manager information can be found here.
<http://www.lexisnexis.com/pdf/nexis/2017-Academic-CM-Territories.pdf>

Cindy

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Vidas, Chris <cdvidas at bsu.edu> wrote:

> Good morning,
>

> Would any of you be willing to share some of your thoughts on the new *Nexis
> Uni* interface?  Perhaps we are the only library with some concerns, but
> I would also be interested in hearing from anyone with observations similar
> to ours or with great ideas about rolling out the new platform that will
> very soon be replacing *LexisNexis Academic*.
>

>    - Have you identified a URL that directs to a landing page other than
>    the login screen?  Email language and training webinars emphasize that
>    creating an account is not mandatory, but I’m unaware of a way to link
>    directly to the search interface (we consider the initial login screen to
>    be a major access hurdle if it can’t be bypassed).
>    - Similar to above, direct links to articles also send users to the
>    login page.
>    - Are you having any luck with the “Continue as Guest” link on the
>    http://www.nexisuni.com page?  Even if we can’t present a URL that
>    skips the login page, the guest link has yet to work for us.  I understand
>    that we aren’t officially “live” yet, but it is discouraging to see simple
>    features not working properly in the days leading up to our full transition.
>

> Am I jumping the gun a bit with my apprehensions?  Probably, but the
> marketing emails suggest that what we are testing in the days prior to the
> official release is what our users will be seeing too, so knowing that
> everything looks good and functions well is important to us.  I’m
> especially worried that our users are so accustomed to a vendor-provided
> login screen meaning that access is denied that they won’t even look for
> the guest login option.
>

> Anything else you want to share about how you’ll be linking to, marketing,
> or activating discovery options for *Nexis Uni* would be of great
> interest to me, and perhaps others as well.
>

> Thanks!
>

> Chris
>

> Chris Vidas
>
> University Libraries…A destination for research, learning, and friends
>
> Electronic Resources and Collections Assessment Librarian
>
> University Libraries                 765-285-8033 <(765)%20285-8033>
> Office
>
> Ball State University                765-285-2644 <(765)%20285-2644> Fax
>
> Muncie, IN  47306                   *cdvidas at bsu.edu <cdvidas at bsu.edu>*
>

> *The University Libraries provide services that*
>
> *support student pursuits for academic success*
>
> *and faculty endeavors for knowledge creation *
>
> *and classroom instruction.  *
>
> http://www.bsu.edu/library (Web Site)

Cindy Fitzgerald
Library Assistant III, Resource Management
University of Northern Iowa
1227 W. 27th Street
Cedar Falls, Iowa  50614