[Eril-l] ACS IP block redux (EndNote)

Diane Westerfield Diane.Westerfield at ColoradoCollege.edu
Sun Jan 8 13:32:39 PST 2017

We also had an ACS IP block over winter break.  A professor was using EndNote to download about 100 to his EndNote Library. The automated nature of downloads, occurring in a short amount of time, is probably what triggered the block.

The professor was using the direct URL rather than the WAM proxy when the block was triggered. I checked our WAM logs and it looks like after the IP was blocked, that he went through the WAM proxy. This didn't trigger a block on our hosted server IP (thankfully). Maybe the proxy gives enough of a delay that it doesn't trigger blocks?

Diane Westerfield, Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
Tutt Library, Colorado College
diane.westerfield at coloradocollege.edu<mailto:diane.westerfield at coloradocollege.edu>
(719) 389-6661

From: Eril-l [mailto:eril-l-bounces at lists.eril-l.org] On Behalf Of Donley, Leah
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2017 7:52 AM
To: eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Subject: Re: [Eril-l] ACS IP block redux (EndNote)

Todd,

Thank you.  I discussed this with ACS after posting to the list and got the same response.  They also indicated that the main trigger is the number of articles downloaded (as opposed to size which another publisher has mentioned can be a trigger).

Regards,
Leah

Leah Donley
Research Library - Building 477