[Eril-l] eBooks and the Academic Library Market: The Charlotte Initiative Open Conference March 9 and 10, 2017

Siler, Elizabeth esiler3 at uncc.edu
Tue Feb 7 12:42:53 PST 2017

***Please excuse the cross posting***

eBooks and the Academic Library Market: The Charlotte Initiative Open
Conference March 9 and 10, 2017

***New program descriptions and speakers have been added!!!***

The landscape of eBooks in the academic library market is rapidly
evolving, with many moving pieces to explore. Over the past two years,
through research and collaboration, the Mellon-funded Charlotte
Initiative has examined the current library market and looked toward
the future of eBooks.  We are exploring how permanent eBook access in
support of traditional academic usage can be achieved.  We invite you
to join this conversation and learn more about our research at our
free conference at the conference website:
https://ocs.uncc.edu/charlotteinitiative/CharlotteInitiative/schedConf/
program

Location: UNC Charlotte Center City, Charlotte, NC
Hosted by J. Murrey Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte

Topics to be discussed include:

*eBook licensing for academic libraries: challenges and opportunities
*Business models to support permanent ownership and perpetual access
*eBooks and the user experience
*Role of libraries and eBooks in textbook affordability efforts
*Short-term eBook hosting and long-term preservation strategies
*Overall snapshot of the academic eBook market landscape

Offerings include workshops, panels, and informational sessions that
bring together librarians, university press representatives,
consortial leaders, bookstore representatives, and other stakeholders
interested in a future that allows permanent access to eBooks for
acquisition and collections. Each day will we begin with exciting
perspectives from one of our two keynote speakers, who were selected
for their broad and deep experience in a range of roles within
scholarly communication:

John Unsworth, University Librarian and Dean of Libraries, University
of Virginia
Amy Brand, Director, MIT Press

The conference has no registration fee, but attendees are responsible
for their own expenses.

Please visit this website for information about the Charlotte Initiative:
charlotteinitiative.uncc.edu/

If you cannot attend locally, live streaming of portions of the
conference will also be available, and all sessions will be recorded.
If you plan to view any or all of the conference streaming, please
register for streaming access.

Note about location: We are aware that legislation decisions made by
the North Carolina state government in 2016 restrict the ability for
some individuals interested in attending our conference to travel to
the state. After much consideration and review of alternative
locations, the decision was made to hold the open conference in
Charlotte, NC, as originally proposed and budgeted. This decision was
not made lightly. We will be providing virtual programming for those
who will not be traveling to Charlotte but are interested in the
important conversations on eBook acquisition over the 2-day
conference.

Elizabeth Siler, MLIS | Collection Development Librarian
UNC Charlotte | Atkins Library
9201 University City Blvd.| Charlotte, NC 28223
Phone: 704-687-1372 | Fax: 704-678-0890
esiler3 at uncc.edu | http://www.uncc.edu