[Eril-l] Job Posting - Collection Management Librarian

Beth Evans BEvans at brooklyn.cuny.edu
Tue Dec 19 13:19:25 PST 2017

Please excuse cross-postings.

Assistant or Associate Professor - Collection Management Librarian in

Brooklyn, New York

FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT

Brooklyn College of the City University of New York (CUNY) seeks an energetic,

innovative, and accomplished professional for the position of Associate

Librarian for Collection Management at the Assistant Professor or Associate

Professor rank. This is a full-time, tenure-track position with a starting

date of July 1, 2018.

The Associate Librarian for Collection Management will provide strategic

vision, leadership, and supervision of day-to-day activities in collection

management to ensure that our collections support the educational mission of

Brooklyn College and meet the needs of our diverse constituency. This

individual will be responsible for the oversight of collection development of

print and digital resources. This individual will play a key leadership role,

serving on the Library Management Team and contributing significantly to the

mission of the library and the institution. Librarians at CUNY have faculty

rank and status and must meet the requirements for tenure and promotion

including librarianship, research and publication. Mentoring and support for

scholarship is available to all Library faculty.

Responsibilities include but are not limited to:

- Serve as subject liaison for assigned academic departments; liaison duties

include subject-specific instruction, subject guides, and collection

development for those disciplines

- As the Chair of the Library Collection Management Committee, work with the

library faculty to formulate, develop, and administer the library’s collection

development policies and liaison activities. Function as the main contact for

collection donations

- Analyze, budget, plan, assess, and evaluate library collections

- Collect statistics for CUNY, ACRL, IPEDS among others

- Serve on the Library Management Team. Work closely with the Chief

Librarian, the heads of Acquisitions and Serials, the Electronic Services

Librarian and related support staff

- Represent Brooklyn College on the CUNY Office of Library Services

committees

- Adhere to Brooklyn College and CUNY procurement policies, and liaise

effectively with these offices

- Participate in regularly scheduled subject-specific, general, and virtual

reference service, including evening and weekend work as needed

Candidates with demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness through

their research, teaching and/or service are encouraged to apply.

The Brooklyn College Library has excellent collections, supporting

undergraduate and master’s level study in the humanities, social sciences, and

sciences. The collections total nearly 1.5 million volumes, as well as

significant audiovisual and microform holdings. Periodical resources include

approximately 3,500 print titles and over 100,000 electronic journals which

are accessible 24/7. Brooklyn College Library serves a diverse population of

over 17,000 undergraduate and graduate students at Brooklyn College, as well

as Brooklyn College faculty and staff and various other members of the

community. We also collaborate closely with all other CUNY libraries:

together, we support over 550,000 CUNY students, in the nation’s largest urban

public university.

Brooklyn College is a microcosm of the ethnically rich borough of Brooklyn it

serves as well as a mirror of the wide diversity in New York City itself. A

vibrant, intellectually engaged community, our student body comprises

individuals from 150 countries, speaking 105 different languages, many of whom

are the first in their family to attend college. The College transforms lives

by providing access to outstanding undergraduate and graduate programs in the

arts and sciences, business, education, and a vibrant general education

curriculum in the liberal arts and sciences. We are an urban, public

institution, proudly situated in one of the most dynamic and diverse

communities in the country. We are committed to student success and to our

historic mission to provide an affordable, high-quality education to students

of all backgrounds. We seek to develop knowledgeable students who are engaged

in the life of the college and our community, and are prepared to think

critically, lead responsibly, act ethically, and contribute globally.

QUALIFICATIONS

- Master’s degree in information and/or library science from an ALA-

accredited school or an ALA-approved foreign equivalent

- Second Master’s degree

- Minimum 5 years of professional library experience

- Knowledge and understanding of 21st century collections issues in an

academic or research library including emerging practices, standards, and

trends

- Experience in assessment and evaluation of library collections

- Experience managing a library collections budget

- Excellent oral and written communication skills

Preferred Qualifications

- 3 years of experience supervising library staff

- Demonstrated project management skills

- Experience with STEM materials management

- Evidence of ability to develop strategy and lead change across an

organization

- Knowledge and understanding of current and emerging issues in open access

and scholarly communication

COMPENSATION

Salary commensurate with experience and credentials. All appointments are

subject to financial availability.

CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering

health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and

savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research,

scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty

professional development.

HOW TO APPLY

STEP ONE – Apply Online in CUNYfirst

(http://cuny.jobs/brooklyn-college/new-jobs/)

Applicants should upload the following in .doc, .pdf, or .rtf format:

- An application letter indicating their experience and qualifications for

the position, that also details how their librarianship, service and/or

scholarship has supported the success of students. In addition, the cover

letter should also include a statement of contributions to diversity and

inclusion (i.e., a statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to

diversity and inclusion through teaching, research, professional activities,

and/or service).

- Current curriculum vitae

- A recent scholarly/professional writing sample

STEP TWO - Go to http://websql.brooklyn.cuny.edu/hrref/

All applicants are required to have three confidential letters of

recommendation submitted electronically by their recommenders by visiting the

link above and entering the contact information for three (3) recommenders.

The online system will automatically email your recommenders a request to

submit a letter via the system. Full instructions will be provided.

Emailed or hard copy applications will not be considered.

CLOSING DATE

February 3, 2018

JOB SEARCH CATEGORY

CUNY Job Posting: Faculty

EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to

apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected

groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the

basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or

gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.

Job Title: Assistant or Associate Professor - Collection Management Librarian

Job ID: 17878

Location: Brooklyn College

Full/Part Time: Full-Time

Regular/Temporary: Regular