[Eril-l] Is anyone using New refworks?

Amy Lynn Fry afry at bgsu.edu
Thu Oct 13 13:57:02 PDT 2016

This fall I started promoting the new RefWorks to new users and encouraging existing users to migrate. I sent an email to all RefWorks users whose accounts had been active in the last year or so (can't remember exactly) with migration information, set up new login links on our website, updated our LibGuide extensively, scheduled workshops, etc. It was very hard to figure out (especially the multiple signup options) and I had a lot of questions, but once I did that legwork, it has been going smoothly.

It's definitely not a perfect product. The import from our Innovative catalog still stinks, but we have Summon so I encourage people to just use that instead. I cannot figure out how to search from within RefWorks at all. I tried to share something with someone and it didn't work very well for me (might have been the user though). The openURL still works poorly, though there is a citation source link in each citation that will get you back very neatly to wherever you got the citation from (so you can link back to full text - I wish that was labelled better). There are still problems with things not importing perfectly - but that's to be expected because of the data available. I think it is much easier to use, though, and I'm glad we are moving towards the new product.

Here's my LibGuide, which may help you with some of your questions: http://libguides.bgsu.edu/RefWorks. Feel free to copy/adapt to your own institution.

Amy Fry
Associate Professor, E-resources Librarian
Jerome Library
Bowling Green, OH 43403
afry at bgsu.edu<mailto:afry at bgsu.edu>
email is the best way to reach me