[Eril-l] Selecting all results on a page of search results

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Wed Oct 12 08:50:37 PDT 2016

EBSCOhost has it but it is under the Share pulldown menu, to Add to Folder.
We have results set to display 50 at a time by default, so ours says "Add
to Folder - Results (1-50)"

I think a far more important feature, which EBSCO also has under that menu,
is the ability to quickly make a persistent link to the entire search
formulation. Other interfaces bury it much further down, or require you to
create a local account on that platform to save searches.

Melissa

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 5:41 PM, Stephen Francoeur <
stephen.francoeur at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been wondering about the pros and cons of having a search results
> page that lets the user select all the items on the page (so they can be
> saved, exported, etc.) A quick survey of some major database platforms,
> discovery services, and our catalog shows that this feature is not
> available in every interface:
>
> Have it:
> Factiva
> LexisNexis Academic
> ProQuest
> Web of Science
>
> Don't have it:
> Ex Libris Aleph
> EBSCOhost
> JSTOR
> Gale
> Primo (including new UI)
> ScienceDirect
> Summon
>
> I'm not sure if this is necessarily a bad thing for an interface to be
> missing the "select all items" function. I suspect that usage of this
> feature might vary by tool (article databases vs. discovery layers vs.
> traditional catalog interfaces). Should we be clamoring for this function
> across all tools? Some of them? None of them? Is it too much of an expert
> searcher tool to bother with (or to bother with in some tools?)
>
> I realize that to answer these questions conclusively would require access
> to usage data we don't necessarily have (how many users clicked on the
> feature in the interfaces where it's an option) and observational data
> (from interviews, usability testing, etc.). I'm curious about what others
> think about this feature.
>
> Stephen Francoeur
> User Experience Librarian
> Newman Library