[Eril-l] cost per use

Mandi Schwarz Mandi.Schwarz at unbc.ca
Thu Oct 6 11:53:00 PDT 2016

We use a very simple spreadsheet to calculate this. It has the following columns: Resource name; Cost; Payment notes; "Search" usage; "Search" usage CPU; "Item" usage; "Item" usage CPU; Stats notes; Report type; and Summary usage.

Payment notes include information such as calculations used to determine cost (typically in the case of a single payment for multiple resources). We gather the most reliable data we can for usage, and add it to the appropriate column; anomalies or special cases are noted in the Stats notes column (such as "Items = video playbacks"). Our usage is calendar year, but our cost is whatever the invoicing cycle for that specific product is, and includes hosting fees where appropriate. In cases where the payment time period is split mid-calendar year, we assign it to whichever year is most reflects (for example, a September 2014-August 2015 payment would be used for calculating 2015 CPU). Report type is useful for quickly identifying non-standard stat sources, and differentiating between BR1 and BR2. Summary usage is a formula that compares the "Searches" usage and the "Items" usage, and displays the highest number.

Early each calendar year, I gather all of this information so it is available for our new fiscal year (April - March). This year, there were 252 resources in the spreadsheet.

At the title level, we load JR1s into our ERMS (III's Sierra ERM) and that automatically calculates CPU for us.

Of course, CPU is not the only deciding factor during renewals, so the quality of this information works for our purposes. For context, we are a small research university with approximately 3400 FTE.

I hope this helps!
Mandi