[Eril-l] Database management question

Sara Colglazier scolglaz at mtholyoke.edu
Thu Oct 13 04:52:21 PDT 2016

Hello Athena,
I am curious what the reasoning/lesson behind your one "Lesson learned"
point is:

   - Use a system that lets you quickly change or turn off EZproxy or other
   authentication.

Thanks, Sara

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Athena Hoeppner <athena at ucf.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At UCF over the past 15 years we've used all the methods you list. ;-)  We
> abandoned MetaLib years ago in favor of a home-grown systems. We recently
> switched from that to LibGuides last year - the programmer who coded the
> in-house system was long gone and the library switched to WordPress. We
> also catalog our databases.  We've experimented with hosting a back up
> database list on Delicious.
>
> Lessons learned from all these lists:
>
>    - Use one location as your master list and use PURLs so you only have
>    one location to maintain URLs.. We currently use LibGuides Friendly-URLs.
>    The Friendly URLs are then used in our 856 fields and on the research
>    guides - everywhere we want to link to the database.
>    - Use a system that lets you quickly change or turn off EZproxy or
>    other authentication.
>    - Maintain a spreadsheet of database titles,  native URLs, and PURLs.
>    We learned the hard way that not all systems let you output such a sheet.
>    I'm considering making a publicly viewable Google Sheet of this info.
>    - Expect to have to keep changing database titles. I'M LOOKING AT YOU,
>    GALE! I recommend keeping the same PURL or Friendly URL for the new title
>    (Rename the old entry to the new title, create a new entry for the old
>    title and link it to the Friendly URL).
>
> All the best,
> Athena
>
> Athena Hoeppner
> athena at mail.ucf.edu
> Electronic Resources Librarian
> University of Central Florida
> 407-823-5049

Sara Colglazier
Electronic Resources Management and Discovery Services Librarian
Discovery and Access: Discovery Services, Rm. 433
Library, Information, & Technology Services
Mount Holyoke College
50 College Street
South Hadley, MA 01075
T: 413-538-2437