[Eril-l] Sci-Hub users asking us to restore their access!

Robert Heaton robert.heaton at usu.edu
Tue Oct 4 12:10:19 PDT 2016

Thank you, Paul, for giving the great technical details.

Melissa, we have not had this particular situation, but if I did, I would certainly include the what-you’re-doing-is-illegal messaging in my response to the users. While the language is different in each case, a great many of our license agreements require at least a good-faith effort to stop activities that are in breach of the license terms once we have become aware of them. Since we don’t know which vendors’ content they are accessing (then again, I suppose the proxy logs might clue you in), we may not be liable for not contacting the vendors when we learned of the breach. But I would hate for a vendor to think that I didn’t do my due diligence when the question originally came to me.

Robert Heaton
Interim Head of Collection Development
Utah State University Libraries
robert.heaton at usu.edu