[Eril-l] Providing alumni access to databases: technical, legal, and political/financial hurdles

Diane Westerfield Diane.Westerfield at ColoradoCollege.edu
Thu Mar 31 10:06:49 PDT 2016

We’re on Millennium and we’re able to provide remote alumni access to a very small group of resources – namely:

Sage journals
Project  Muse journals
Vault career website
John Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory & Criticism

These vendors have all told us that remote alumni access is free and fine. Actually in some cases the remote alumni access was already in the license, and we hadn’t acted on it until specifically pointed out to us by the vendor.

We have a patron type (ptype) of alumni. I believe there’s a table in Millennium that associates patron type with permitted URLs. Thus our alumni can get remote access to the above 4 databases but nothing else. With the use of a dummy patron id of ptype alumni, we can test this setup to make sure it’s working correctly.

We were never able to set up the very popular JSTOR as an alumni resource. The JSTOR folks don’t accept proxy access, and meanwhile we can’t use Shibboleth. Our ITS department passed on Shibboleth when they were looking at single sign-on options.

Hope this helps,

Diane Westerfield, Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
Tutt Library, Colorado College
diane.westerfield at coloradocollege.edu<mailto:diane.westerfield at coloradocollege.edu>
(719) 389-6661
(719) 389-6082 (fax)