[Eril-l] COUNTER4 report harvesting?

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at wheaton.edu
Tue Jun 14 08:53:37 PDT 2016

This is an interesting and worthwhile conversation, but I think there are layers of the onion that need peeling (without tears ;-)).

As someone else pointed out, I don’t think SUSHI — the standard — is the problem here. It’s whether or not vendors have implemented all available reports.

In addition, according to the COUNTER Code of Practice, some reports are required and others are optional, so I think that’s good to keep in mind.

A third point is that we are not yet at a stage where all vendors are COUNTER R4 compliant, or even providing COUNTER reports, or supporting a SUSHI service at all, let alone supporting a SUSHI service to deliver R4 reports. And some vendors claim COUNTER compliance and yet clearly are not.

I’d encourage others to participate in the USUS community website at http://www.usus.org.uk as this is a way to focus our advocacy.

One more thing: the ERM I use here is CORAL (http://coral-erm.org) and its usage statistics module supports ingest of the following COUNTER R4 reports: JR1, BR1, BR2, and DB1. The CORAL open source community is engaged in many different projects to enhance the tool and one thing on our roadmap is to enable ingest of all R4 reports. I’m not sure yet when that will be ready and available but wanted to mention that it is front of mind for many of us in that community.

Steve

Steve Oberg<http://www.wheaton.edu/Academics/Faculty/O/Steve-Oberg>
Assistant Professor of Library Science
Electronic Resources and Serials