[Eril-l] Hathi Trust

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at wheaton.edu
Wed Jan 13 11:52:38 PST 2016

We did this a year or two ago and it wasn’t difficult at all. At that time, all I had to provide was a list of OCLC numbers for items in our holdings; one for monographs, and one for serials. That was straightforward to obtain from our ILS. Unfortunately this misses many things in our ILS that aren’t in OCLC — yeah, that sounds weird and I’m not even going to go into why that is the case locally — but I figured it was “good enough” for the purposes of assessing whether joining HathiTrust would be worthwhile. The resulting analysis was quite interesting.

We decided not to pursue applying for partnership in HathiTrust, mainly because we do not have a local digitization program in place where we can readily contribute our unique materials to the archive, and I don’t know of plans to do so. Personally, I’d like to see us participate, because we have a significant amount of unique material.

Steve

Steve Oberg<http://www.wheaton.edu/Academics/Faculty/O/Steve-Oberg>
Assistant Professor of Library Science
Electronic Resources and Serials