[Eril-l] Rethinking the Library Services Platform (LSP) : New Higher Education Library Tech briefing paper

ken at kenchadconsulting.com ken at kenchadconsulting.com
Thu Jan 7 10:35:59 PST 2016

#rethinkLSP on twitter

Have we got things wrong about library services platforms ( LSPs) ? Can we
learn lessons from what is happening with enterprise resource planning (ERP)
systems? A new briefing paper analyses the situation:-

"Rethinking the Library Services Platform". Higher Education Library
Technology (HELibTech) briefing paper (No. 2). January 2016. Available (with
other reports and resources) on the Higher Education Library Technology
(HELibTech) Library Services Platform page
http://helibtech.com/Next+Generation

(The briefing paper is available under a Creative Commons (CC0) license to
enable easy, unrestricted re-use. It is published by Higher Education
Library Technology (HELibTech), a free and open service for everyone
interested in issues around library technology in Higher Education)

#rethinkLSP on twitter

The second in the series of HELibTech briefing papers challenges the current
definition of a library services platform (LSP) and suggests ways in which
library systems might  develop. While a new generation of library systems
has emerged there remains a very significant lack of interoperability
between the various components that make up the wider library technology
'ecosystem'. So, although we talk of library services *platforms*, libraries
and library system vendors have not yet fully realised a platform-based,
interoperable library ecosystem. Cloud computing could help break this
paradigm as it is doing with enterprise resource planning (ERP) solutions.
Gartner, an information technology market research and advisory firm
suggests that the ERP suite is being deconstructed into what they
characterise as a 'postmodern ERP.' Gartner suggests that the result will be
a more loosely coupled environment with much of the functionality sourced as
Cloud services or via business process outsourcers. Will we see the same
trend in library technology?

 A more open library technology ecosystem, possibly making better use of
open source components would eliminate the restrictions of a closed and
monolithic suite of services from a single vendor. Solutions are moving to
the Cloud but aren't yet really platforms. It is possible that such a
platform-based ecosystem model will be the "next generation" in library
automation. The promise for libraries is a more flexible and cost effective
solution and for users a much improved user experience.

Suzanne Enright, Registrar at the University of Westminster, London
commented:

"It is always important to see library technology trends in a wider context,
not least that of the wider corporate ecosystem and the HELibTech briefing
papers are really helpful in navigating our complex landscape. This briefing
paper provides interesting new insights into the challenging area of library
related technology, where the demands of our users aren't always matched by
the market providers, and where the need for interoperability is in constant
flux in the increasingly complex world of technology-enhanced learning and
research".

Ken Chad Consulting Ltd Tel: +44(0)7788727845
http://www.kenchadconsulting.com <http://www.kenchadconsuting.com/>
Twitter: @kenchadSkype: kenchadconsulting