[Eril-l] LexisNexis OpenURL failures

Ranti Junus junus.msulibraries at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 07:09:55 PDT 2016

I usually mentioned the need to have openURL talk to their rep on conferences whenever I see them and they usually grimaced and said something like "yeah, about that one…"

In the past, we use III's WebBridge openURL link resolver. In order to make the openURL work, I had to tweak the URL to follow LN's URL API specification

https://www.lexisnexis.com/communities/academic/w/wiki/111.url-api-specifications.aspx (the one thing I like about WebBridge is we can tweak/fix the URL ourselves and don't have to wait for the vendor to fix it.)  The trick to this is by using LN's constant source identifier (CSI) as part of the URL. So, in a way, we mimicked their direct linking as an "openURL." This approach, however, required us to do additional steps before we upload the KB into our system.

We now use Summon/360Link and there's nothing else I can do on my end except keep talking to LN reps.

ranti.

--

Ranti Junus,

Systems/Electronic Resources Librarian

Library Science Collection & Museum Studies Liaison

Michigan State University Libraries

366 W. Circle Dr., East Lansing, MI 48824-1048

+1.517.884.0878

@ranti