[Eril-l] funding for DDA/PDAL usage and cost

Swindler, Luke luke_swindler at unc.edu
Fri Sep 25 14:11:22 PDT 2015

A well-planned DDA almost invariably is a cost-effective means of providing readers with relevant e-books.  Such is particularly the case when its goal is to improve support for the academic enterprise by presenting faculty and students with a large number of potentially useful e-books for possible acquisition, with the aggregate number and cost of titles in the DDA being well beyond what a library could ever afford to buy.  Moreover, based on data that ProQuest and YBP have provided UNC on the portion of the titles in DDAs that actually register sufficient use to trigger purchase, their number is relatively small.

The absolute level of DDA usage depends on its nature.  If the DDA is considered another niche for problematic titles where it would be difficult to predict need, then the level of usage will be relatively low and the short-term loan charges and auto-purchases triggered will be minimal.  Still, as a rule, the level of usage for even this type of DDA typically exceeds the overall level of circulation of print books that librarians select because of expected need.  UNC has this type of DDA, and for every $1M of e-books at list price in terms of financial exposure, the annual cost has been >5%.

Luke Swindler