[Eril-l] funding for DDA/PDA

Karen Jensen kljensen at alaska.edu
Fri Sep 25 11:30:33 PDT 2015

Rick you comment that getting rid of print would be a "very unusual
attitude" for an administrator, but I hear it frequently also. I have heard
it from several library deans, as well as deans in other academic
departments, both here in AK and elsewhere. Not a systematic account of
attitudes by any means, but I find myself often having to defend even
having a library any more, much less printed materials in it. I even hear
that refrain from researchers whose work is primarily journal-based, and
who never access physical library collections; they are unconcerned about
print items even in their own subjects. Our personnel have been
correspondingly downsized, from 12 faculty librarians to only 7 just in the
last 2 years, and it's not going to change in the other direction any time
soon. We just were ordered to and did close a branch library as well, and
several higher level administrators commented that the materials in the
branch could be discarded without analysis; we didn't do such a discard,
nor will we, but the pressure is on.

Karen Jensen
Collection Development Officer
Rasmuson Library