[Eril-l] funding for DDA/PDA

Crawford, Laurel Laurel.Crawford at unt.edu
Wed Sep 23 07:13:43 PDT 2015

We also decided to stop allocating by subject area because the thorny issues of DDA were making it very complex. Counting DDA purchases and loans toward a certain subject fund was ridiculously complex to track and penalized one set of disciplines (those with high DDA use). Setting aside special DDA funding penalized another set of disciplines (those who didn’t use or have access to many DDA ebooks). We have since decided to use the “one big pot of money” model to fund one-time purchases.

Once we realized that access was more important to us than ownership to us, we created an Access-Based Collection Development philosophy—you can read our white paper here: http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc335286/.  DDA and other access-based models focus the collection on today’s user, rather than planning for a someday user. We also re-envisioned our collections as a service to today’s user, rather than an assemblage of items that continues to build up over time.

I think some librarians in our institution were more enthusiastic than others about our move toward DDA, but we asked for their input early on in the decision-making process. Our emphasis on service and the needs of today’s users resonated with many of our public-facing colleagues. While many librarians feel relieved about the lack of pressure to spend, others still do lots of requesting—we’re happy to add those items to the DDA program manually and eventually use those selections to tweak the profile.

We have also found that the DDA program, even when the profile is very broad, does not use as much money as we anticipated. If you begin relying more heavily on DDA, you’ll want to analyze the use data to determine what disciplines aren’t well-served…for us Art and Music have a lot of needs not filled by DDA.

Laurel Sammonds Crawford
Coordinator of Collection Development
University of North Texas Libraries
laurel.crawford at unt.edu<mailto:laurel.crawford at unt.edu>