[Eril-l] funding for DDA/PDA

Katy Ginanni ksginanni at email.wcu.edu
Tue Sep 22 07:30:02 PDT 2015

Hi folks,

{Apologies for duplication. I'll post this to several ists.}

I wonder if anyone out there has come up with some magical scheme or prediction or formula for how to allocate subject or program-based funds to pay for DDA/PDA purchases?

When we started our DDA program, we limited the profile to subjects that would support our distance and/or online programs. We paid for all purchases from one fund. Now we are thinking of expanding the DDA plan to cover all programs, and we're wondering how to allocate money from the subject/program-based funds. For print books, we've been experimenting with an allocation formula that includes several criteria or factors (student credit hours per department, # faculty per department, etc.). But we're struggling with how to factor in ebooks. How can we predict what we might spend on ebooks and what we should put aside for print books? For example: Let's say the history department gets $15,000 to spend. Halfway into the year, DDA books have eaten all of that allocation but the liaison still has print books she wants to buy.

Our usage of ebooks - among all purchases, not just the DDA-initiated ones - is spread across many disciplines. That's why we are thinking about putting additional subject areas in our DDA profile.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Katy G.

Katy Ginanni, Acquisitions Librarian & Asst Professor
Hunter Library
Western Carolina University
176 Central Drive
Cullowhee, NC 28723