[Eril-l] Millennium ERM fixed-length record field variables

Mandi Schwarz Mandi.Schwarz at unbc.ca
Thu Sep 3 10:10:00 PDT 2015

Our Millennium ERM was implemented in 2003.  Our site coordinator at the time had experience in tech services and set up our fields and codes very thoughtfully; we’ve only had to make a few changes since then. We’re now on Sierra.

For Rights Type, we have:
- Archival (for perpetual access)
- Licensed
- Publicly Accessible
- Trial
- Unknown

Our Resource Code 1 refers to information within the resource; we have:
- Data
- Images
- No full text
- Partial full text
- Unknown
- Video

Resource Code 2 refers to the type of resource:
- Bibliographic/Citation (primarily used for aggregators)
- Union catalogue
- Collection (for resources with more than one format)
- Ejournal package (for collections from the publisher)
- Ejournal single
- Numeric database
- Image database
- Other
- Ebook package
- Ebook single
- Video Collection

Resource Code 3 and 4 are unused in our system at the moment.

We’re also using Resource Status:
- Active
- Inactive (ex. resource no longer exists, vendor is defunct, etc)
- Pending
- Trial rejected
- Trial
- Temporarily unavailable
- Cancelled

And Package Type:
- Complete
- Partial/select
- Unknown
- None

There are some changes we have planned:
- I would like a way to differentiate Purchased content from Subscription content (and, additionally, Free content – but that is easily tracked in Rights Type field)
- Our Resource Code 1 and 2 are used in concert with each other, and we’re thinking of adding a code for Streaming (maybe in rcode2?).  There are a few records that we have labelled as Unknown and Other, so I’m evaluating these as well (one is a streaming audio file collection).
- We use Package Type primarily for publisher packages, to denote if we have access to all of their titles or only a subset.
- We’ve also discussed a way to locate multi-part collections that each have their own resource records – maybe using one of the Resource Code fields to indicate Parent, Child, or Standalone.  (Academic Video Online is a good example of this situation.)
- We’ve added a few records for the admin details of our largest providers (EBSCO, ProQuest, etc) so we don’t have to update the admin details in every single record for their products when we change the password; maybe another Rights Type could differentiate these?

I also have a quick checklist of what fields are mandatory for each record type that I can share.  (I call them my ERM Cheat Sheets and have them hanging off the side of my monitor.)

Seriously – I love discussing this sort of stuff!  I’m absolutely happy to answer any questions.

Hope this helps!
Mandi

Mandi Schwarz
Library Assistant - Serials