[Eril-l] Title changes in knowledge base and linking to bib records

Larrison, Stephanie A larrison at txstate.edu
Fri Oct 2 13:57:50 PDT 2015

I'm curious about the cataloging practices at other institutions in relation to your atoz list or knowledge base.  We do not have MARC record delivery for resources in our knowledge base so all cataloging is done in house.   My question is also not related to coverage loads, for those of you who are familiar with that practice.

At my institution, we catalog title changes for all e-journals except for those in an aggregator databases. For example, we have separate bibliographic records for
American Politics Quarterly, ISSN: 0044-7803.  1973-2000
American Politics Research, ISSN: 1552-3373, 1532-673X.  2001-present

These cataloged bib records link to the atoz knowledge base with a query string which includes the ISSN in the URL syntax so the patron can find every source we have available for the journal.

The links in our knowledge base for the older titles must be created manually because our link provider only uses the current title or whatever the publisher sends.  So using the same example, by default our link in the knowledge base is American Politics Research  1973-present, even though the publication did not exist prior to 2001.

Question 1) Does anyone else create links between the cataloged bib records and the knowledge base?

Question 2) Do you customize the knowledge base links to accurately reflect holdings for journals with title changes?

Thank you,
Stephanie Larrison
Electronic Resources Librarian
Texas State University