[Eril-l] Is Breaking Up THAT Hard to Do?

Karen Jensen kljensen at alaska.edu
Mon Nov 9 09:41:50 PST 2015

We are about to break up a number of big deals, despite getting pretty
decent use of the non-subscribed titles. We simply no longer have a choice.
If the vendors can come up with a new offer we can afford, great. If not,
we'll have unhappy patrons, but there simply is not a choice; the funding
isn't there any more.

I looked carefully at all our big deals, and have a pretty good sense of
the new "core" which is a bit different than our subscription titles. One
package in particular gives us amazing return for the money; based on use
statistics it's pretty clear that we don't really have 120 "core" titles,
but more like 350. But we can't afford those subscriptions, regardless of
cost-per-use.

Karen Jensen
Collection Development Officer
Rasmuson Library