[Eril-l] Is Breaking Up THAT Hard to Do?

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Mon Nov 9 08:32:45 PST 2015

I was just at the Charleston Conference where I heard a member of the
audience at one session complain about having to pay for unused titles in a
Big Deal package.
I thought it reflected a lack of understanding of what a Big Deal actually
is.

So I want to emphasize something Karen says here: "when we calculated the
alternative of subscribing to the most used titles, would be more
economical to split up".

Whenever I've done an analysis on our Big Deals that are based on historic
spend, I find that the titles in our "core" (the basis for our price) are
indeed by far the most heavily used. And the smaller price we pay for "'all
of the rest" is still very cost effective to have access to that long tail.
That is, our cost per full text article used in the long tail is still well
within our internal threshold for renewing journals, either in packages or
individually.

The important point here is to actually do that analysis, and don't think
of the titles in the package that you don't use as "wasted money".
You are paying a pittance per "all the rest" journal relative to their
retail cost exactly because your use of them is expected to be very low and
take the form of that "long tail" distribution.

Melissa Belvadi

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island