[Eril-l] browzine thoughts?

Swogger, Susan sswogger at email.unc.edu
Thu May 14 16:13:18 PDT 2015

In order, your questions:

  *   No. It lets you view the table of contents and holdings for your journals, but you must be online. You can open an article to read online, or download it to save to your machine for later. Articles will let you email them, open them in other apps, save them, etc.
  *   If you open and download an article while online, you can easily secure it in a folder to read later. You do have to do your picking and pulling while online to be able to read the articles offline.
  *   The usage is counted as a normal download by journal vendors. It is not a double use. I'm not sure if it counts table of contents views in any way.
  *   No, it's for everything they can manage to get that you have subscribed via traditional subscription or aggregator, or that is open access. I am at a science library, and we definitely promote it far more as we pay for it on our campus, but I can see that a big chunk of the use is in the social sciences, arts, humanities, news, etc. About half of my personal bookshelf is cultural studies and ethics and art.

Does that help? You can get the app for free to see how it works - it will just be limited to open access journals. Anyone can use that. It's if you want your library's collection to be accessible that you have to pay.

Susan Swogger
Collections Development Librarian
Health Sciences Library
phone: (919) 966-0777
fax: (919) 966-1388
sswogger at email.unc.edu

www.hsl.unc.edu
Connecting people everywhere with knowledge to improve health