[Eril-l] Off-campus access to licensed databases

Sara Brownmiller snb at uoregon.edu
Fri May 1 14:09:51 PDT 2015

The UO Libraries allows community patrons to use our licensed resources when they are in the library.

We've had a request from a community patron for off-campus access to our databases because he is disabled and it is difficult for him to get to the library.  He does not have a current or active affiliation with the UO.   When we explained the restrictions on off-campus access to licensed resources, he is making the argument that this may be a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act because this results in unequal/unfair treatment for people who are physically disabled.

Has this question ever come up in your library?   How did you respond?

Thanks, Sara

Sara Brownmiller
Director, Library Systems
University of Oregon Libraries