[Eril-l] Lynda.com

Charles Thomas cthomas at usmd.edu
Mon Dec 7 12:04:18 PST 2015

Cindy,

Lynda.com also offers a much more affordable option named LyndaPro, through which you can subscribe to almost any smaller number of simultaneous "seats" users. My consortium subscribes for 5 seats to be used by about 750 FTE. Additionally, even some of the mid-sized universities in Maryland do not license for the entire campus, but instead license something like 20-25 seats to ensure adequate access but also acknowledge that not all FTE will need to use Lynda.com at the same time.

The main trade-off to this approach is that someone on campus has to manage the workload and turning access on/off for specified users at the proper time. In my consortium, I set it up so that each seat is reserved a week at a time by individual users. At the beginning of each week, I turn on/off access for the correct registered users.

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Chuck

Chuck Thomas
Executive Director, USMAI Library Consortium
Tel: 202-651-1921
Email: cthomas at usmd.edu
usmai.org