[Eril-l] database comparison tools

Sandra Wong swongj at sfu.ca
Wed Dec 2 17:33:28 PST 2015

Hi all,

Just jumping in to say thanks for the shout out from people recommending the CUFTS resource comparison tool.

Just a quick FYI. The CUFTS knowledge base makes no effort to include all possible packages and offerings from all publishers and providers, but we do have the majority of popular full text aggregator databases from Gale, EBSCO and Proquest - and they tend to be r esources used (mostly) by Canadian academic institutions as well as those being used by our own library clients.

The knowledge base is primarily for full text link resolving and for the A-Z journal listings - so it is primarily full text - but for full text aggregators, we accommodate lists that contain index only titles as well.

Gale has recently adopted KBART listings, so indexing data has disappeared in CUFTS for the gale database lists as we migrated those ones so that we could use their KBART lists to populate the knowledge base rather than their former lists which required quite a bit of editing to be made suitable for addition to the knowledge base.

Good luck with the comparison.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the CUFTS tool - it does tend to cut off some results if you try to compare really, really big lists (eg, Lexis Nexis vs Factiva... for example).

Sandra.