[Eril-l] Comparative reviews of current newspaper databases

Sandra Wong swongj at sfu.ca
Thu Dec 17 17:28:10 PST 2015

Hi Melissa,

Summon does index newspapers rather well (PQ has more or less cornered the market on newspaper databases!).

Initially, when we picked up Summon back in 2010, in it's initial interface, newspaper results overwhelmed search results - librarians were really not happy with that. So we used their API to parse out the newspaper results under our banner of "Library Search" which is on top of the Summon discovery service . Library Search searches a whole bunch of different silos (ejournal titles, database titles), library website, course reserves, IR, in addition to Summon results using the Summon APIs.

You should be able to see it on our home page under Library Search. Newspaper results appear on the bottom left hand corner. You shouldn't need to login to do a search. http://www.lib.sfu.ca/

To go to Summon directly, change the default search to Fast Search - that's what we're calling our Summon service.

In addition, since the change to the Summon 2.0 interface, newspaper results are now a link at the place where the first newspaper result would have appeared in the results list. So instead of a citation to a newspaper article, you get a link... "News results for....your search terms".

Hope that helps. Sorry Helen, I have no recommendations for comparisons of newspaper databases - we have Canadian Newsstand and PressDisplay (both Proquest) and Factiva and Lexis Nexis both. I'm pretty certain that usage of Lexis has been declining over the last several years though.

Sandra.