[Eril-l] Hoover's Academic Limitations

Adele Fitzgerald afitzgerald2 at sjcny.edu
Thu Dec 10 07:52:06 PST 2015

We have noticed that Hoover's Academic seems to be missing at least two
features: "Download Data" & "Download this Company". From what I
understand, Mergent took over Hoover's Academic some time ago. When I spoke
to Mergent about these features I was told that they are no longer
available for the Academic version (may have been an ownership or rights
issue - I cannot exactly recall), and they suggested that we consider
purchasing some of their other products.

When you look up a company, towards the top right there is a More Tools
box. Within that box, the "Download Data" link is grayed out. I believe
that when this used to work it gave you a nicely arranged spreadsheet. The
"Download this Company" link is located on the same page on the left-hand
side under the Company Description area. The link appears to be active, but
if you click on it you are sent to a dead page. Not a great solution.

Anyone out there familiar with Hoover's Academic, and know of any alternate
products? We are aware of the Mergent Intellect product and would welcome
any feedback good/bad on that one and any others that have been useful in
your library.

Thanks in advance.
Adele

--