[Eril-l] Which Conference?

Eric Elmore Eric.Elmore at utsa.edu
Fri Dec 4 10:57:22 PST 2015

ER&L in Austin is a little bit smaller than Nasig and Charleston, but you’ll see a lot of the same faces at all three.  The registration cost for all 3 is pretty close.  ER&L registration includes breakfast at the conference hotel, which also has a decent lunch buffet inside the connected hotel for less than $15. (and Austin is fantastic).

NASIG WAS primarily serials in nature in the past, but has broadened out to cover most electronic resources in the last few years.  “Computers in Libraries” and “Internet Librarian” are both awesome, but more expensive and not as library resources (e/books, e/journals, databases) focused as the first 3.   LITA is another really fun/interesting conference, but it’s again not as focused on ER-Librarian stuff as the first 3.

ER&L is the least expensive of the 3 to swing.  NASIG and Charleston are about the same as far as overall cost.   You can also do ER&L online and watch the sessions from your office, which is not very expensive at all – less than $300.  So doing the online for that out of  pocket and using your institutional travel funds for one of the others might be a possibility if you can swing it.

I’d say ER&L, Nasig or Charleston would be great “starter” conferences, whereas Computers in Libraries, Internet Librarian, the annual LITA Forum are more advanced conferences.  Does that sound about right to the ER-collective wisdom?:)

Eric Elmore                                                             |
Electronic Resources Coordinator                     |
The University of Texas at San Antonio            |
One UTSA Circle                                                     |
San Antonio, TX.  78249-0671                             |
(O)210-458-4916/(F)210-458-4577                    |
Eric.elmore at utsa.edu<mailto:Eric.elmore at utsa.edu>                                         |